The following articles of Decree 82/2015/ND-CP provide instructions for applying visa exemption certificates by Vietnamese people residing overseas and foreigners who are spouses, children of Vietnamese people residing overseas or Vietnamese citizens.
Article 4. Duration, validity and forms of visa exemption certificates
1. Visa exemption certificate shall be valid for up to 05 years and expires at least 6 months before the expiration of the holder’s passport or international travel document.
2. Visa exemption certificate shall be issued to people entering Viet Nam for family visit and settlement of personal business.
3. Visa exemption certificate shall be attached to the passport; the following cases shall be granted in loose sheet:
a) Passport runs out of blank visa pages;
b) Passport of the countries that have not established diplomatic relation with Viet Nam;
c) International travel document;
d) At the request of the person to be granted with visa exemption;
dd) For reasons of external relations, national defense and security.
4. Visa exemption certificate shall be issued on an individual basis. Children who share passports with their parents shall be granted visa exemption certificate together with passport of a parent.
Article 5. Fees for issuance of visa exemption certificates
Visa exemption certificate grantees or re-grantees must pay fees in accordance with regulations on charges and fees.
Article 6. Dossier of application for visa exemption certificates
Visa exemption grantees must submit 01 dossier, comprising of:
1. A passport or an internation travel document or a residence permit granted by a competent foreign agency for Vietnamese people residing overseas.
2. A declaration of application for a visa exemption certificate attached with 02 photos (01 photo pasted in the declaration).
3. A paper proving that the applicant is among the subjects eligible for visa exemption:
a) Vietnamese people residing overseas submit certified copies of original documents or present copies attached to original documents for reference one of the following papers: birth certificate, decision for renunciation of Vietnamese citizenship or certificate of loss of Vietnamese citizenship, other papers indicating Vietnamese citizenship or valid to prove the original Vietnamese citizenship of the applicant;
b) Foreigners submit certified copies of original documents or present copies attached to original documents for reference of papers proving their spouse or child relationship with Vietnamese citizens or overseas Vietnamese;
c) Where there is no papers proving the Vietnamese origin of overseas applicant, competent Vietnamese visa-granting authorities abroad shall base on validity of the papers indicating that the applicant has Vietnamese origin to consider and grant visa exemption certificate.
Article 7. Issuance of visa exemption certificates at competent Vietnamese visa-granting agencies abroad
1. Applicant for a visa exemption certificate residing overseas shall submit a dossier specified under Article 6 of this Decree to competent Vietnamese visa-granting agencies abroad.
2. Within 01 working day from the date of receipt of complete dossier, competent Vietnamese visa-granting agencies abroad shall send a list of applicants for visa exemption certificates to the Immigration Department.
3. Within 03 working days, the Immigration Department shall consider and provide answer to competent Vietnamese visa-granting agencies abroad.
4. Within 01 working day from receipt of the notice of the Immigration Department, competent Vietnamese visa-granting authorities abroad shall grant visa exemption certificates.
Article 8. Issuance of visa exemption certificates at the Immigration Department
1. Those who are temporarily residing in Viet Nam having demand to receive visa exemption certificates shall submit dossiers as specified under Article 6 of this Decree at the Immigration Department.
2. Within 05 working days from the date of receipt of complete dossiers, the Immigration Department shall consider and grant visa exemption certificates.